One of my all-time favorite children's books is All the Places to Love. Here's an excerpt:
"My grandfather’s barn is sweet smelling and dark and cool. Leather harnesses hang like paintings against old wood and hay dust floats like gold in the air: Grandfather once lived in the city, and once he lived by the sea; but the barn is the place he loves most."
Place is such a huge influence, especially for my cooking. If I had a recipe from every place I ever visited or inhabited I could start a food blog.
Asian Noodle Soup
Print recipe only here
YOU WILL NEED:
* Udon, ramen or soba noodles
* Pork Chops
* Chicken broth (I only use Imagine Organic)
* Soy sauce
* Teriyaki sauce (I like Kim’s Gourmet Spicy Teriyaki)
* Rice vinegar
* Shitake mushrooms (dried are fine, too)
* Asparagus tips
* Green onions
* Bean sprouts
Asian Noodle Soup with Teriyaki Pork
Serves two, very generously
* Boil water for noodles
* Preheat grill
* Baste two pork chops with teriyaki sauce
Put in a small soup pot and bring to a simmer, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes:
* 48 oz (6 cups) chicken broth
* ½ medium sized onion, sliced thinly
* 6-8 Shitake mushroom caps (remove stems and slice the caps)
* 3 cloves garlic, sliced
* 5-6 slices fresh ginger (peel about a 1-inch piece of ginger, then slice into rounds)
Thinly slice and reserve:
* 4 green onions
Prep and reserve:
* Small bunch asparagus – chop off the top 3 inches of the asparagus, and then chop those pieces in half so that all pieces are 1 ½ inches long.
Grill pork chops over high heat until slightly charred and cooked through. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Add to broth and simmer another 10 minutes:
* 3 T soy sauce
* 3 T rice vinegar
Cook udon noodles according to directions on package.
Slice pork and reserve.
Rinse udon with cold water and portion into large serving bowls.
Throw asparagus tips into the broth and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until they’re just cooked. Pour the hot soup over the udon.
Top with a small tower of bean sprouts, a generous sprinkling of green onions and sliced pork. Serve immediately.