Eating a sensible, balanced diet means saying no to excessive fats, sugars and empty calories our bodies don't need.
These are the animal proteins I cook with regularly. I define lean as anything with less than 3 grams of saturated fat per 4-ounce serving. I always remove all visible fats (and poultry skin) before cooking. The sources I used were the nutrition labels from Trader Joe’s products and the website www.nutritiondata.com. All are 4-ounce servings, unless specified otherwise.
Nutrition information is available on most packages. I recommend checking fat content before purchasing - it's such an easy way to be kinder to your arteries.
2. Pork loin. A boneless loin roast has 24 grams protein, 6 grams total fat and 2 grams saturated fat.
3. Fish. The example here is trout. A 3-ounce serving of farmed trout (at Whole Foods) has 21 grams protein, 6 grams total fat and 2 grams saturated fat. Tilapia is another high protein, low fat fish. (There isn't a fish I reject based on fat.) We mostly eat salmon, trout, red snapper and tilapia.
4. Flank steak. I buy the Australian ones at Trader Joe's. 24 grams of protein, 2.5 grams total fat and 1 gram saturated fat.
5. Lean ground beef. Again, TJ. The 96/4 beef has 24 grams of protein, 4.5 grams total fat and 1.5 grams saturated fat.
6. Tri-tip roast. I use this to make Italian beef sandwiches and BBQ beef. The one at TJ has no nitrates or antibiotics and is free-range and veg fed. 24 grams of protein, 5 grams total fat and 2 grams saturated fat.
7. Leg of lamb. Leg is the leanest cut. 20 grams protein, 9 grams total fat and 2.5 grams saturated fat.
8. Chicken breast (boneless, skinless). The individually packed ones at Trader Joe's have 26 grams protein, 1.5 grams total fat and no saturated fat.
9. Turkey Breast. Removing the skin before roasting is the healthiest preparation. It won't dry out if you rub a thin film of olive oil (and I usually shake a blended seasoning on the surface as well). 30 grams of protein, 1 gram total fat and no saturated fat.
10. Buffalo, ground. I like the Maverick label. The lean ground buffalo (97/3) measures in with 25 grams of protein, 3 grams total fat and one gram saturated fat.